Why Software Design Is Important?
Whenever a software developer starts working on any type of new project, it is obvious that he would want to start scripting the code right away. Regardless of what his expertise is over the software are, if he builds software without laying out a plan for it, then he might be building a home without setting a strong foundation. Well, no matter how strong the building process and use of resources are, the house is going to collapse, similarly, without a foundational layout, the software is also going to crash. Nobody really wills to let the effort go in vain, just out of a silly mistake of not setting a plan for it, right? Well, that is where software design comes into play, a mechanism that allows critical software processes to be simplified in a certain manner.
What is Software Design?
It is obvious that while talking about software design, a question pops up, what is this software design after all? Well, the answer is not as critical as you might think. Software design is basically a mechanism of preparing a plan, a layout for structuring the code of your software application. It is as simple as that to define, but is this that easy to perform? Well, that is a whole different scenario but if you are to perform software design for your new software project then it is a necessity to know its importance, otherwise, you might just miss the crisp of it.
Software design is a multi-stage concept. The software itself is a multi-layer, multi-dimensional spectrum and its design has multiple intermediate steps therefore; different types of software level design.
Types of Software Level Design
- Architectural Design: Architectural design is the first step in software level design. This involves the construction of a software application structure in order to have the correct interconnection of each element of code according to the required function.
- High-level Design: This is the second step in software level design. In this step, the designer splits the theoretical concepts, into multiple entities and ensures their functions are inter-related to get an optimum result. This module identifies a modular structure of different entities and creates a design to inter-connect all modules for a specific output.
- Detailed Design: This is the third and the last step of software level design. It involves the compilation of all modular outputs and arrangement or rearrangement o functional modules for final outcome. This level of software design determines more of a logical structure out of constructed modules. The software outcome accomplishment part is the motive of the detailed design level of software design.
What is the importance of Software Design? Why is it so important?
As mentioned earlier, software design is the process of setting a foundation for constructing your software structure code. This is what makes it the most important aspect of software development yet there are many corner sights to it, which may give reasonable answers to the importance of software design.
Therefore, let us communicate about why software design is so important and what makes it the same?
Following are some points that make software design so important:
1. Modularity is of great convenience:
Modularity, the first concept of software design it is. It means cleaving your huge software project into small modules. It simply means splitting the software project into small pieces, small tasks called modules for the simplicity of work. Splitting your critical software project into modules only makes it easier to work on every requirement of the project. It also gives the convenience of making changes in the future. If in case, the requirement of your client changes, then you can anytime go for restructuring a module, not the whole project. It gives you the ease of finding errors in the modules, not the whole structured complicated code. Therefore, modularity makes the software simpler and simplicity makes it effective, this is why software design is important.
2. Maintainability is a plus:
As software design is performed by creating modules, it makes the task easier to maintain. Tasks like finding bugs, debugging, restructuring, and changing the functionality of specific elements in the software application become quite easy due to software design. A good software design gives you the privilege of changing the appearance, functionality, etc, of the software by working on a specific module. For example; in case you have already completed the creation of a software application, but now you need a change in its interface then you can just make changes in the module that relates to the interface, you need not mess up with any other module. This is how software design helps in the maintenance of your software application.
3. The flow of functionality and performance:
Software design is a reflection of the performance of the software application. A good software design effectively displays the flow of functions taking place while the software is running. From input to the output, a software design shall show all the steps so that the performance of the software application can be analyzed. If in case the software project is handed over from a software developer to another, then the new developer should understand the software by just reading the software design and this is what the privilege is given by good software design.
4. Portability and Trackability:
When it comes to making changes in the software, the elements like portability come handy. Portability in the software design gives the convenience of transferring functions from a module to another, as it can make a whole lot of changes in the functionality of software applications. Another, important element of software design is Trackability. Trackability is as its name suggests, it is the aptitude for tracking the flow of functions taking place in the software working. Good software design provides track ability to the software application which makes it easier to use and maintain.
Now that I have mentioned the reasonable approaches towards the importance of software design, let’s have a talk about how it is done the right way.
How to do software design the right way?
Well, software design is more like a rule-free process because designers can have hold of their own designing styles. Yet, there are few steps that make a software design stand out and implementing those steps in your software design flow is the right way to do it.
The steps for effective and correct software design are detailed as follows:
- The first step is understanding the requirements. It is important to understand the requirements of your client and segment them to be included in your modules.
- Establish communication between the team members. As software design is not a task of the one-man army, it takes a team to perform. Therefore, it is important to establish communication in the team so that there are clarifications and the right flow in the process.
- Define the functional flow of the software, choose compatible integration systems, select tools to complement it and never overlook the price factor of application.
- Avoid using multiple document management systems so that you have a unique solution environment.
- Deploy the aspects of development, testing and performance analysis carefully in the design itself.